Tuesday 9 September 2014

Out and In the Aiguestortes


Next day was a bit sunnier and we headed up towards the Collada dels Gavatxos, 2667m.




We were surprised how cold it was even in the sun and the Montane zip offs stayed zipped on.  Note that we all wore trail shoes.  Dawne and I in Sportiva Raptors  ( I think I originally heard about these from Martin Rye's blog) and Ailsa and James in Salomons.  None of us suffered any blisters.  I remember being told by a mountain leader assessor that trail shoes were no good in rocks and boots are needed for ankle support.  Can't ever of tried them I reckon as this is one of the rockiest places I've been.


Back into the Aiguestortes.


Yet more lakes in the valley beyond,  the Estanys dela Gavatxos.  I don't think I can actually say that word.


James looks for the next '3 stone' cairn.  We found that the path was a lot harder to find on this section.


We found an idyllic place to stop for a rest and have something to eat.  The tent was damp from dew so I spread it out to dry. That's one of the things I liked about the Mariposa sack- it was possible just to stuff the wet tent into the mesh on the back.




Ailsa and Dawne with the Golite Pinnacle sacks.  I  was quite fond of mine but always found the hip belt a bit ineffective.


Which way now bats?



Estany Perdut.


We took Sawyer Mini  filters and Aquamira drops and had no problem finding water.


Fatigue was setting in as we headed for the 4 wheel drive taxis at the Planell der Sant Esperit via a long walk past the Estany Llong.


We got the last room in a hotel in Boi and polished off two plates of patatas bravas,  before getting cleaned up for a proper meal later on.

3 comments:

AlanR said...

I’ve been to the Picos and Sierra Nevada but this trip of yours is where i have never been and it looks stunning. What a walk.

Greg said...

I read about them in an old book where they where called the Encantardos or enchanted mountains. Kev Reynolds describes them : " Here is a landscape of raw beauty. Among granite deserts............countless attractive tarns smile a benediction."
Had to go and see them.

Anonymous said...

It's certainly a beautiful place, Greg. Your photos are fantastic. I'm going to look into that area.
Cheers, Alen